Cairo (SaebPress) — Egyptian President  Morsi has annulled the controversial  decree he issued last month expanding his powers, an official declared in a Cairo news conference.

A referendum on a draft constitution would however still go ahead as planned on December 15, said Selim al-Awa, an Islamist politician acting as spokesman of a meeting Morsi held earlier on Saturday with other political leaders

“The constitutional decree is annulled from this moment,” al-Awa said.

He said that constitutionally, Morsi was unable to change the date for the referendum.

It’s an important development but the opposition do not see this as meeting all of their demands, since the decree and the referendum were at the heart of anti-Morsi protests that have rocked Egypt in the past two weeks.

At least seven people have been killed in the unrest, as demonstrators opposing and supporting Morsi clashed near the presidential palace.

Several of Morsi’s political advisers have resigned after the decree was issued on November 22.

 

Earlier on Saturday, Egypt’s military gave warning on “disastrous consequences” if the political crisis gripping the country was not resolved through dialogue.

“The path of dialogue is the best and only way to reach agreement and achieve the interests of the nation and its citizens, the opposite of that will take us into a dark tunnel with disastrous results”, the military said in a statement.

The military statement was issued after the state-run newspaper Al-Ahram reported that Morsi would soon authorise the armed forces to help police keep order.

Source: agencies

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY